Monday, February 6, 2012

Making Sense from Nonsense, or The Importance of Punctuation


OK, what the fuck are you trying to say here?! All i can decipher is that it's a quote from Pierce the Veil! Other than the "-Pierce the Veil" at the very end, none of this makes sense! Being the occasional smart cookie i am, i looked on google and found out that those are lyrics from "Kissing in Cars" by Pierce the Veil. it's a shitty song (yeah, i looked it up on youtube, too, just to verify), made my ears bleed. *insert reasons why it sucks*
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyways, back to the status. you'd be surprised how little punctuation you can use to make it actually coherent! Mmkay, you have the quote typed out "Your face is the first thing I see the first time I've seen love and the last I've ever needed" all as one looooong run-on sentence. now, the bare minimum you could do is either hit this miraculous little key on the keyboard called "enter" at several appropriate places. yeah, I was surprised when they decided to make that key, too. if you wanted to just use this miraculous key, then here's how you could make your status make sense:
"Your face is the first thing I see
the first time I've seen love
and the last I've ever needed"
-Pierce the Veil

If you still wanted to keep it as just one line, then a common practice is to use the revolutionary "/" to indicate that it's a new line in the song. Using your quote, for example, "Your face is the first thing I see the first time I've seen love and the last I've ever needed" would become "Your face is the first thing I see/The first time I've seen love/And the last I've ever needed." Finally, if you wanted to circumvent the "/"s, you could use these mystical things called "commas" and "periods!!!!" The miracles of modern grammar!! Now, if you would write it in this format, it would look something like this "Your face is the first thing I see, the first time I've seen love, and the last I've ever needed." In case you don't understand why i used those magical commas, it's because that quote can be broken down to a 3-part list. now, pick which way you like best, and then it can make sense!! I guess I hafta give you some slight credit cuz the lyrics in context make absolutely no sense. There, I gave you props for something. consider yourself one of the few lucky bastards to get props on my blog. you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment